Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sylvanian Families



When I was a little girl my favorite toys were my Sylvanian Families. Cute little furry families of animals like bears, bunnies, raccoons & squirrels. They each had their own clothes and I even had the doll house with tiny little furniture that was just like the real thing. All the drawers in the dresser opened and there were even little books to put on the book shelf. The animals could bend their legs and sit on the teeter totter and go down the little wooden slide. I LOVED these with all my heart. I would play for hours on end with my Sylvanians. As with all good toys from the 80's they were discontinued and as I got older I kind of forgot about them. Until one day at my uncle's house I noticed that my younger cousins had some very familiar looking little animals. Except the clothes were missing, a few of the heads popped off, and obviously not as cherished as mine once were. When I asked my mom about it, she had a very guilty reply, that she had gotten rid of my collection and given it to my cousins who she thought would enjoy them. I was devastated. In fact, i'm pretty sure I bawled my eyes out. Time passed and I kind of forgot about that too. Then, about 2 weeks ago my mom came over to give me some old boxes of my stuff. When I opened the lid to check out what was inside, there were 2 new boxes of Sylvanian families! Infact, the EXACT families I had when I was little! Praise the Lord that all the toys from the 80's are back! My mom even told me a new house is on it's way as an early Christmas present! I have to admit i've been a little obsessive (looking on the internet at all the cute new furniture sets i need to buy) but theres nothing better than a little nostalgia to get you in the mood for Christmas! If anyone is interested in buying them for their little one, they are now called Calico Critters and you can find them at the Red Balloon!

2 comments:

Englishfam said...

Don't you love when you get the perfect gift? I bet your mom was dying to give those to you! They are so cute! My boys have enough crap at this point, maybe if i ever have a little girl...
So glad you are blogging again!!

NutMeg said...

Hey Kel-

You can also find them at a toy story in Orem called "funfinity". It's over by the distribution center (Deseret Book/Lehi Roller Mills) off of University Parkway. I saw them when I went in there on Black Friday, and thought of you. "Sylvanian families, to collect and love!" Yeah for us 80's toy dorks. P.S. They have Teddy Ruxpins there too!