Thursday, March 27, 2008

Earth Month

April is Earth Month! We should all take some time this month to give back to our mother earth and become more aware of how much we take. I take so many beautiful things around me for granted and forget to realize how much of a footprint I am leaving in my environment. The company I work for is celebrating Earth Month and focusing on one area of many global issues and doing something to try to help. They are trying to raise awareness of our water recourses. The human body is mostly made up of water, and so is the earth. It is something that connects us all. Here are a few scary statistics that really made me think-

*Every 15 seconds a child dies because they have no access to clean water.

*According to the World Health Organization, more than 3 million people are severely sickened and 220,000 die from pesticides each year world wide.

*According to recent U.S. Department of Agricultural studies, agriculture is the leading source of impairment in the Nation's rivers and lakes and a major source of impairment in estuaries.



I know it's hard to understand things that go on but don't affect us quite yet. But I really would like to try to help before it's too late. Some of the smallest changes can help make a difference. Not taking as many baths, for instance- and shorter showers. Not running the water while brushing teeth, or rinsing dishes. Trying to take a re-usable bottle of water rather than buying one every day. Buying organic produce helps promote farms who don't use fertilizers or pesticides & even donations to local recourse advocates helps.

Anyway, that was my little soap box for a minute. I was just really impacted and want to help make some changes. I am so thankful for this amazing planet I live on and I challenge everyone else to celebrate Earth Month one way or another!

4 comments:

Sarah and Desmond said...

What a wonderful cause! I will be sure to be more aware of water use definitely, thanks for sharing this Kelly and also for lunch on Wednesday, it was so much fun! You always lift my spirit!

Andee said...

Thank you so much for posting this! I wasn't aware it was earth month. I am pumped now to make an extra special effort to conserve and give back to mother earth. We really are blessed to have this beautiful place to live! Love ya!

Aim said...

Oh Kel, you're such a Hippie. haha, just kidding! I love this post! Great thoughts. How are you doing? I check your blog all the time you know and I feel like I see you more often that way!

Hey- Details on a girls night out coming up next weekend on my blog! whooo hooo! Please come if you can! I haven't seen you in forever!
www.halabalou.blogspot.com

love amie

Miss Megan said...

I love you Kelly...I love that you are always thinking outside-the-box and get involved in social and political issues. I have been doing my best at being more green conscious, and Mike and I are even planning on planting a couple of trees in our backyard this summer. Of course I can't wait until it's warm enough to work in the yard again!